Cleaning out closets and garages in the spring feels so good. It’s freeing to make space and get rid of old junk. Take care when you clean out sensitive items and make the extra trip to protect neighbors and our environment.
Check out your city’s solid waste or public-works page to get the dates for upcoming spring electronic and hazardous-material disposal days. Bring your water/waste bill or another bill if your apartment community includes those services, so the city will know you are a resident.
Acceptable items include:
- Computers, printers, keyboards, screens, hard drives and
- Telephones, fax machines, answering machines, typewriters
- Televisions, cameras, VHS and DVD players, stereo
equipment and speakers.
- Compact fluorescent lights (CFL) and fluorescent light
bulbs (these need to be recycled somewhere else).
- Household appliances such as coffeemakers, microwaves,
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
Acceptable items for city disposal:
- Photo chemicals, auto fluids, household cleaners, pool
- Paints, stains, thinners, solvents. » Household and car
- CFL and fluorescent bulbs.
- Tires and appliances.
- Medical waste.
- Explosive or radioactive materials.